The incarceration rate for drug abuse among talented young Black and Hispanic (some White and Asian) artists is higher than ever due to social ills, lack of education and basic job skills needed to be successfully compete or stay relevant in today’s economy.
Unfortunately, there are many brilliant young minds that are being wasted in jails and institutions. Mental health has a big part to play in drug abuse and crime as well. According to The Free Dictionary by Farlex; Mental Health is defined as
1. A state of emotional and psychological well-being in which an individual is able to use his or her cognitive and emotional capabilities, function in society, and meet the ordinary demands of everyday life.
2. A state of emotional and psychological well-being in which an individual is able to use his or her cognitive and emotional capabilities, function in society, and meet the ordinary demands of everyday life.
3. psychological well-being and satisfactory adjustment to society and to the ordinary demands of life.
Hip Hop & Rehabilitation at it's finest.
The goal for this article is to raise up awareness by reminding you that there are many of our family members and friends that are unfortunately incarcerated as the result of drug abuse, crime, lack of education, job skills, broken homes, etc. The West Coast Community needs our love, help and support since eventually our family, friends, loved ones, will be released back into our communities sometimes sooner than later. Oftentimes these talented young men and women aren't even violent offenders and were picked up for drug dealing, drug possession, and property crimes like theft and burglary.
Have you ever wondered how an individuals life can spin completely out of control? Well, from personal experience, these things tend to happen when there is a lack of resources, support, mentoring, and leadership in our communities.
Hip Hop & Rehabilitation are hand in hand, since Hip Hop can be used as a tool for helping any individual recover from unhealthy habits/ lifestyle. Hip Hop is therapeutic and can improve neurocognitive functions that have been lost either because of disease, environmental stress, post traumatic stress, depression, social ills, and social injustices. If used properly, Hip Hop can help you rehabilitate from criminal behavior, drug abuse, and misplaced value systems sometimes developed over time due to negative childhood experiences from the past and present.
Thank you for reading our Blog here on Word Press. West Coast Rise Magazine is a new online publication/ blog site for any and everyone who aspires to "Rise" above any and every challenge by using natural, creative talent and genius to express themselves through the media, arts, entertainment, sports, entrepreneurship, etc.
Please feel free to comment or give any feedback on this particular blog topic of "Hip Hop & Rehabilitation." Your input would be greatly appreciated.
West Coast Rise Magazine
Maurice A. Petty
- Local Embarrassments to Glorified Extravagance: The Varied World Of Hip Hop (justwaitingforamate.wordpress.com)
- Hip-Hop: The New Ice-Breaker (thetremendousunknown.wordpress.com)
- Teach me hip-hop (ask.metafilter.com)